What is Shine Together?
‘Shine Together’ is for families and family members, of all ages, to share breakfast and a short time of celebration together.
It is held on the 4th Sunday each month, starting at 9 a.m. and lasting about an hour. As ‘Shine Together’ is a joint venture with St. Giles, the location alternates between St. Giles and the Methodist Church. The village newsletter lists each month’s venue on its church pages.
What do we do at Shine Together?
Shine Together starts with breakfast- breakfast time is flexible, drop in any time after 9 a.m. Croissants, toast, tea, coffee and juice are served between 9 and 9.30 a.m. There is always a craft activity and an open ended ‘Challenge’ for the children to take part in if they wish.
At around 9.40 p.m. we have a 20 minute time of celebration and worship. Typically we sing a lively song, show our crafts and share the challenge results, have a time of story and exploration, pray together. The celebration time is short and often happily noisy. Children can take active part. Background rustling and sounds of babies and young children is never an issue.
‘Shine Together’ is based on the model of ‘Messy Church’.
To find out more either come along and try us out or check out www.messychurch.org.uk
Shine Together revolves around:
- Breakfast – the importance of food and fellowship. The familiar and comfortable act of sharing food together- appropriate for all ages.
- Craft – making something together. Working with others in different families and generations.
- Child focused worship – a short, dynamic, exciting, noisy, creative act of worship.
George Lings, Director of Church Army’s research unit, described Messy Church’s values as
- Chill – we will enjoy spending time together.
- Chomp – we will enjoy eating together.
- Create – we will enjoy making things and exploring God’s wonderful world.
- Celebrate – we will find ways of enjoying God’s word in the Bible and talking to him.
At ’Shine Together’ we agree with these values. We would love you to come along.