The Church Council established a group to look at producing a ‘Statement of Faith’ stating what WE believe as a Church. The report of the group to Church Council said:
Whilst working with the goal of producing something which builds and strengthens the life of the church, helping it to grow both numerically and in depth of spiritual understanding, the group has constantly been mindful of the potential for a Statement of Faith to be (or to be perceived as) divisive and exclusive. The group would therefore like to make explicit that everyone is welcome at Copmanthorpe Methodist Church, whether they agree with every word of the Statement of Faith or with none of it. It is an aid to help people work through their faith and spirituality, not a document to divide the church family or to exclude people who have questions or doubts.
Copmanthorpe Methodist Church Statement of Faith
- We believe in one God who is Father, Son and Holy Spirit, creator of everything.
- We believe that God created human beings in His image, in perfect relationship with Him.
- We believe that humanity’s disobedience of God destroys our perfect relationship with Him.
- We believe that God loves us so much that He sent His son Jesus Christ
who was born of the Virgin Mary; who was fully God and fully human;
who lived entirely without sin; who, for us, suffered and was crucified, died and was buried in order to rise again and ascend into heaven.
- We believe that the relationship between God and ourselves is restored by God when we personally respond in repentance and faith to what Jesus Christ has done.
- We believe that it is the person of God the Holy Spirit living within us who empowers us to live a Christ-centred life.
- We believe that the Bible is divinely inspired; the record of God’s self-revelation, supremely in Jesus Christ, through which He still reveals Himself, by the Holy Spirit; the authority in all matters of faith and conduct.
- We believe that the church is the body of Christ, of which He is the Head.
- We believe that this Church exists to worship, serve and witness that Jesus Christ is Lord.
- We believe that Jesus will return at a time known only to God, to judge all human beings, those living and those who have died, completing God’s plan of salvation, renewing His creation and establishing His reign of love for ever.