Methodism first found birth in Copmanthorpe in 1787. At that time local preachers who were a Mission Band held open air services and meetings in the surrounding villages. As autumn approached they arranged for cottage meetings in Copmanthorpe, the first being in the kitchen of Mrs. Hobson, who lived at the York end of the village, and also of Mrs. Scott, the wife of a well to do farmer. the outcome of this was the forming of a Society Class with Mr. John Corner as the leader. Shortly after this John Scott was born and brought up as a member of the Methodist Society and by the age of 19 had become a Minister and became President of Conference in 1843 and 1852. It is remarkable that his example was followed by his grandson, J. Scott Lidgett who also became president of Conference in 1908.
In more recent times, services were held in a small Chapel in the centre of the village, which is now part of the Co-op in Church Street. In 1958 the Society, which had only 20 members, decided to build a new church in Main Street. Thus a new building was erected on the present site at a cost of £2,750 to meet the growing needs of the village. In this connection we remember the faith and dedication of Mrs. Grace Agar, without whose inspiration the building would never have been built.
By 1980 the number of members had grown to 88 as the village expanded and a new Church was added to the existing building to accommodate the larger congregations and the growing Sunday School. Costing some £55,000, the new extension was opened on June 13th, 1981 with a service of dedication.